Simply put, successful email deliverability is your messages reaching your recipient’s inbox rather than his/her junk or trash folder or your IP address being blocked by an internet service provider.
Here are 10 ways you can ensure your messages reach your recipient’s inbox
1. Allow opt-ins when someone is not initially added to your mailing list by giving the option to join the mailing list.
2. Build your email lists responsibly; avoid taking shortcuts by purchasing and harvesting email lists. Purchased lists are a one-way ticket to blacklisting of your IP address. This is because purchased lists may contain a large number of inactive and incorrect email addresses or furthermore, spam traps.
3. Allow recipients to manage content preferences.
4. Authenticate your emails using SPF, DKIM and, DMARC. SPF tries to detect whether an email coming from a domain has been sent by an authorized IP on that domain. It fights email spoofing.
DKIM is like a digital signature for an email, which allows the email sender to link their domain with the email messages they send. This shows that the emails are authentic.
DMARC help senders stop their domains from being used in phishing and email spoofing scams. Learn more about how DMARC works from ReturnPath.
5. Check for blacklisting. There are various blacklist checker tools online.
6. Personalize content and ensure relevant content is received by the right recipients. This can be achieved by segmenting your subscribers’ lists
7. Maintain proper list hygiene by regularly cleaning your mailing lists to remove inactive, unresponsive and incorrect email addresses
8. Monitor your metrics/analytics such as open and click-through rates that will help you identify potential deliverability issues
9. Find your sender reputation; this is dependent on two main factors. Your domain reputation and your email host’s reputation. These can be checked using various tools such as Senderscore.
10. Monitor your complaint rate; keep track of your recipients’ feedback and other factors such as unsubscriptions.
There you have it. 10 sure ways that will increase your business’ email deliverability. Businesses are also advised to use a trusted email marketing service provider to avoid the risk of domain blacklisting.